Expose's Gioia responds to Paula Abdul's controversial "American Idol" comments.


I had the chance this morning to talk to Expose's Gioia regarding Paula Abdul's controversial comments about American Idol. Despite only having a couple of hours rest, Gioia was exuberant over her performances with Expose' last night at Disney World in Orlando. "It's so great. You have to come to an Expose' show and feel the energy that we have together! It's a powerful connection between Expose' and our audience. You feel their love!" As to her relationship with her bandmates? "We could fall off the world and find each other. We have such a strong bond!"




I asked Gioia to comment on Paula Abdul's recent comments that American Idol is "excruciating and soul-destroying for contestants." Gioia said "When these kids get up on American Idol, it's an important part of the process that they be strong of character and be able to take constructive criticism. It's a tough business! Don't get the wrong idea about Gioia. Though strong of spirit and her convictions, Gioia has a heart of gold. Gioia related a touching story about her recent encounter with a young man who performed for her. The experience seemed very "American Idol-like". "I went into a radio interview the other day. A boy comes out and he sings Amazing Grace for me. It was beautiful! But his neck was up and his vibrato was off. I told him he had a beautiful voice. I talked to him about placement and where his aim should be. Long story short, I gave him some well needed simple coaching. He was so happy, so motivated!! He said that he was going to wait until next year to try out for "American Idol". Why didn't anyone ever tell me this before? It makes such a difference! Just a small example of what future Idol contestants may experience if Gioia gets her wish and joins the "American Idol" show.



Could she co-exist with Paula Abdul on "American Idol"? "Absolutely!" Says Gioia. "I think that Paula and I would be a perfect combination on the program! Wouldn't it be great to have two women up there saying the right thing, getting along? It could be a powerful team! Catfights would not be necessary! Gioia was also kind enough to share with me the letter that she recently sent to Simon Fuller of "American Idol."

Dear Simon,

It is with great respect, admiration and passion that I am writing to you today. As you may know, I am seriously interested in working with 19 Entertainment and Fremantle Media, specifically on American Idol. First, I believe that an Expose' night is long overdue. With over 12 Billboard hits to choose from (8 top-ten hits, 4 top-forty hits), it would be such an honor to have our group's music showcased and sung by your Idol contestants.

As far as myself is concerned, I would most welcome the prime opportunity to coach, nourish, mentor and judge the talented young singers on your program. Having opened and taught at the Broward Performing Arts Center in Florida with over 400 students during the nineties, has greatly prepared me to step into a judges role on your program. Whether I am adding to the mix of judges, guest-spotting or even perhaps replacing a judge seat, I would be an asset to your perfect ensemble. Of course, being able to throw in a little realism with spicey drama and sass will fire things up too. Most importantly, I know music, I know singing and I know dedication, drive and talent. Having lost my singing voice due to a benign tumor, shook by world and halted my career for several years. The struggle to regain my voice and career has been immense, but I feel great now and so blessed. My singing voice has grown stronger than ever. I am filled with gratitude everyday for the life I have led and for the life in front of me. I would cherish the chance to share my experience, strength and hope with your American Idol contestants and your viewers.

Please seriously consider me for any opportunities which may arise to work with you and your fabulous team. I will be in Los Angeles November 9-14 and hope that we will be able to meet in person. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Warmest regards,

Gioia Bruno

Gioia is a determined woman! She related to me that she will not rest until she gets a spot in the spotlight on Idol. Her motivation is the best of all. Making her beloved 83 year old father proud. "My Dad would be so proud of me! He told me "Gioia you have to go get the job!" I love him so much and told him Dad, I really want to make a difference and American Idol is the way I can do that."

Gioia's official website